The growing global trade market and the interest in “mega” ships in recent years has resulted in many ports and piers evaluating their current capacities and increasing their cargo handling capacity. At the same time, many of the ports that were constructed 40-50 years ago are nearing the end of their design service life. Corrosion of submerged piles and seawalls is a major concern that significantly reduces the load-carrying capacity of these ports.
Our engineered Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) solutions offer fast, long-lasting and economical repair alternatives to owners, architect/engineers and contractors to ensure the port renovation projects are completed on time, within budget and with minimum disruption of business and marine traffic. QuakeWrap® patented PileMedic® system is the only pile renovation system that allows strengthening of a deteriorated pile to levels beyond the original capacity of the pile. The performance of this unique product has been proven through extensive government-funded research studies, including: California Department of Transportation or Caltrans (for concrete piles), Texas Dept. of Transportation (for steel H piles), and Nebraska Department of Roads (for timber piles).
Some of the repair and strengthening solutions for ports and piers offered by QuakeWrap® engineered FRP solutions are:
- Strengthening of corroded steel, concrete or timber piles that area submerged in water using our patented PileMedic® technology
- Repair of corrosion-damaged concrete decks
- Repair of corroded concrete beams below the deck using our patented stay-in-place form that offers a fast and long-lasting solution
- Repair of corrosion-damaged seawalls and sheet piles with our patented SPiRe® system
- Seismic retrofit of the port facility and buildings for compliance with modern earthquake codes and to ensure resiliency of these facilities in the event of a major earthquake
- Strengthening of pier deck and loading areas for heavier traffic loading
- Blast retrofit/mitigation or force protection of port structures against terrorist attacks
In most cases, QuakeWrap engineers can provide a complete “turnkey” design-build solution that includes sealed engineering drawings by our in-house engineers, all of the materials needed, and installation by one of our approved and certified installers. This unique turnkey design-build approach results in significant efficiency, time and cost-savings, and minimizes the potential errors and delays that can result when multiple groups are involved in one project.
QuakeWrap® also welcomes the opportunity to partner with owners, architects, engineers and contractors by providing any single aspect of the project, i.e., design, materials, or installation for a specific project.